So I was videoing Grayson impressing me with beginning sounds (I will post later purely for family enjoyment) and I realized how big he is getting. I am so proud of what he has overcome, and thankful for the things he never had to overcome. Kindergarten is just around the corner for him... and lucky for him- my specialty. I get parents every year that are worried that their 4 1/2 year old doesn't know enough for Kindergarten. Year after year it is the same question from my future Kindergarten parents "What should my 4 year old know?" They usually give me a list of the things they can do "count to 20, letters, sounds etc..." Every now and then I even get the "can we test him for 1st grade? He already knows how to count to 100, all the planets...." SO many mother's...can't help but compare their children. Not in a competitive nature, but in a "worried my child isn't up to speed" way. Childhood isn't a race. So as a kindergarten teacher, and a mother(of an almost 4 year old) I offer my list of what I believe a 4 year old should know:
1. He should know that he is loved wholly and unconditionally, all of the time.
2. He should know that he is safe and he should know how to keep himself safe in public, with others, and in varied situations. He should know that he never has to do something that doesn't feel right, no matter who's asking- and that his family will back him up.
3. He should know how to laugh, act silly, be goofy and use his imagination.
4. He should know his own interests and be encouraged to follow them. If he could care less about learning his numbers, his parents should realize he'll learn them accidentally soon enough. Let him immerse himself instead in trains, painting, and playing in the mud (can you tell I am a mom of boys?)
5. He should know that he is wonderful, brilliant, creative, compassionate and marvelous. He should know it is just as worthy to spend the day outside making mudpies, as it is to practice phonics. Scratch that- WAY more worthy.
Grayson turns 4 in a few weeks... he is a precious soul who learned his colors and numbers because of his Thomas the Train obsession, and making cookies with me- counting how many cookies he snuck and ate! He learned about animals, and people, and everyday things because his mimi reads to him for hours at a time. He learns about life and how to treat others because he has a father who sits and listens to his day, makes crafts with him. We take walks on Spring nights, allowing plenty of time for his 0.1 MPH pace as he soaks up everything around him. He makes dinner with me every night, even though it takes twice as long and twice as much work. He deserves to know that he's a priority for us, and that we truly love to be with him. I think it is human nature to want to know how our children compare to others and want to make sure we are doing all we can for them. But there is a lot of learning in baking a batch of chocolate chip cookies- don't sell them short. Developing curiosity and a love of learning- that's the best school preparation of all. Rest in the season in which God has placed you and enjoy this age and stage.
5 comments:
Great post Stevi. We are right in the middle of all of this with the boys going to Kindergarten next year. It is lovely to be reminded that they already know so many of the things that really matter and will carry them through. Knowing some of the stuff in your list will enable them to be focused at school so that the rest can come naturally. Love this!
LOVE THIS POST!!!!! It's no wonder why everyone at Key requests Mrs. Binford to be their baby's kindergarten teacher :) I love u!
Oh, such a good post Stevi. You are so right! I was worried about so many things last year before Nolan started school and you are so right, everything just falls into place! My kid is a smart cookie and I know so much of that comes from us and our parents spending every second with him and indulging in his constant questions, turning them into a time to learn about the world. Love you!
In tears...what a good Mommy you are. I love you!
your words are wonderful!
Can't wait for Ava to be with you 24/7!
Post a Comment